WHAT IS A SMILE MAKEOVER?
A smile makeover consists of one or more dental cosmetic treatments which are customized to improve your unique smile. Some of the factors taken into account for smile makeovers include your teeth (color, shape, length), lips, jaw structure, gums, and facial appearance.
WHAT ASPECTS OF MY SMILE CAN BE IMPROVED?
At Tualatin Family & Cosmetic Dentistry, Dr. Eerson Rowley, DMD can work on various aspects of your smile:
If you require dental fillings, we can give you natural-looking porcelain or composite resin fillings, rather than gold or amalgam fillings.
Teeth whitening procedure is ideal for people who have stained and discolored teeth. This can be due to smoking, consuming dark food, overzealous brushing, age, and other factors. For those people on whom teeth whitening procedures don’t work, dental bonding or veneers are a good option. A bright white smile can lend you a youthful appearance.
Your teeth can appear shorter because of various factors, including age, abnormal growth, or a gummy smile. Treatment options for short teeth include reshaping and lengthening them with porcelain veneers. If necessary, you may also be advised to have a crown lengthening procedure. Veneers can also be used to bridge abnormally large gaps between adjacent teeth.
If you have a gummy smile, we may recommend a gum lifting procedure to remove excess gums and reshape your gumline. Straight, long, and even teeth can give a round face a slimming effect.
If there are large gaps between your teeth or your mouth is overcrowded, you may end up with a crooked or gap-toothed smile. To keep your teeth straightened and aligned, we recommend Invisalign® treatment, coupled with some veneers.
One or more missing or broken teeth can ruin the aesthetics of your smile and deplete your self-confidence. It can also make other teeth shift out of position, change your bite, and make it harder to clean your mouth. Missing teeth can be replaced with crowns, dental implants, or partial bridges.
At Tualatin Family & Cosmetic Dentistry, we will examine your mouth closely and view your medical history to design a treatment plan that can get you the smile you want. This plan may consist of one or more treatment options like bonding, veneers, crowns, whitening, gum lifting, and aligners.
MAINTAINING A BEAUTIFUL SMILE
It is not enough to have a smile makeover. You need to take care of your mouth to maintain the positive results for a long time. Here are a few simple things to take care of:
- Knowing how to brush properly and floss your teeth is imperative for maintaining a smile. Avoid using highly abrasive toothpaste as it can strip your enamel, leaving your teeth open to infection.
- Flossing is another key factor in increasing the lifespan of your dental restoration and cosmetic treatments. Flossing removes food and debris from between your teeth and prevents risk of infection.
- Rinse your mouth with a good mouthwash after every meal. Alcohol-free mouthwashes target bad bacteria in your mouth, and they do not degrade dental restorations like bondings and veneers.
- Avoid food and drink with high sugar content as they result in tooth decay. Also, avoid snacking on junk food in between meals.
- Limit consumption of beverage like alcohol, coffee, tea, and cola to prevent your smile from being discolored and stained.
- Do not chew on hard objects like ice, pens, and bottle caps as they can crack your veneers and bondings.
- If you have a habit of grinding teeth or suffer from bruxism, use a night mouthguard to protect your teeth and restorations from damage.
Even though your dental restorations will have to be replaced a few years down the line, the longevity of your smile depends on how well you take care of your teeth. Follow our advice and do not skip any periodic dental checkups, which are vital for the health of your teeth.
To schedule an appointment, call us at (503) 878-7474 today.